The FAB Teletext Data Generator/Bridge FT-DGS/FT-DBR is a product that is now obsolete and has been replaced by FAB Teletext Generator.
Reception of subtitles over network / serial connection
- Open a terminal window. This can be done directly on the unit by typing TERM. You can close the window by typing .EXIT [ENTER]. Alternatively you can open a window in FAB Teletext Editor and connect to the unit over network.
- Login by typing REG username,password. The command and the text behind will not be displayed. Please consult the manual to see the default username and password or start CONFIG.EXE. The default administrator username is 9
- Type the command TOP 888S or TOP 888R to define the page 888 as a subtitle page. The parameter S defines the page as a normal subtitle page. The parameter R defines the page as a running subtitle page which means that any teletext page that is stored as 888 on the unit will be transmitted automatically when no subtitles are transmitted.
- Repeat the above procedure for all subtitle page numbers.
- You can use the command TOP to display the list of subtitle pages.
Reception of subtitles from a teletext decoder
- When subtitles are received from a teletext decoder over SDI video first define the subtitle page numbers as described above and then follow the next steps.
- First check whether teletext subtitles will be received from the main SDI input (A) or from the aux input (B).
- Type the command TDC A ON [ENTER] to activate the teletext decoder on main input (A) or TDC B ON [ENTER] to activate the teletext decoder on aux input. You can deactivate the decoder by typing TDC A OFF or TDC B OFF
- Type the command TDC A 801 888I [ENTER] to receive subtitles on page 801 and immediately retransmit them on page 888. You can remove page 801 from the list of decoded pages by typing TDC A 801 801R
- Repeat the above procedure for all page numbers that shall be received.
- You can use the command TDC A or TDC B to display the list of decoded pages.
Transmit a subtitle page also when no subtitles are transmitted
To configure FAB Teletext Data Generator / Data Bridge to transmit an empty subtitle page also when no subtitles are transmitted you will require:
- An empty teletext subtitle page created in FAB Teletext Editor
- FAB Teletext Editor connected to network to transfer the page to FAB Teletext Data Generator / Data Bridge and configure the unit correctly
Please follow these steps:
- Install and start FAB Teletext Editor Professional on a PC
- Click on File / Options and choose Connections
- Click on New to create a new connection to FAB Teletext Data Generator and enter the correct Descriptive name and IP address of FAB Teletext Data Generator.
- Save the settings by clicking OK
- Click on File / Open and open a teletext subtitle page from file (i.e. P888.etp)
- Make sure that the active connection is selected and displayed correctly on the bottom of the window or select it accordingly.
- Place the cursor in the last line of the teletext page and type the following commands:
REG username,password [ENTER] (to login)
TOP 888R [ENTER] (to define page 888 as running subtitle page so that the content of page 888 will be transmitted when no subtitles are received from other sources)
PUT 888 [ENTER] (to store the page in the active window as page 888 on FAB Teletext Data Generator)
Special note for users of FAB Network Controller
- When FAB Network Controller is used to control FAB Teletext Data Generator / Data Bridge it is necessary to define subtitle pages in the NC Transmission List editor as FAB Network Controller will overwrite the configuration done locally on the unit.
- The configuration of teletext decoder (TDC A / TDC B) must however be done directly on the unit.